Friday, June 4, 2010

REALTOR, real estate agent, and ethics...oh my!

I had a friend from New York e-mail me recently. She's selling her house and has been going through some major trials with her agent. The things her agent was doing (mostly lack of disclosure and not working in the best interest of the client) bothered me quite a bit. Probably because I get really tired of slackers giving the industry a bad rep.


First of all, there is a difference between Real estate agent and REALTOR (yes, it's supposed to be in all caps). REALTORS must adhere to the National Association of REALTORS code of ethics...real estate agents aren't required to.

That said, if you're working with a REALTOR who you think isn't treating you right, call them out on it. If they won't make it right, talk to their manager or broker. There's always the option of filing a complaint through your states "division of real estate" too. I don't mean turning agents in for a simple lack of "google-able" knowledge or honest mistake but if your agent is doing something outright unethical (or criminal), make them accountable for those actions. After all, it's one of the biggest purchases of your lifetime and it shouldn't be tainted. Or just fire your agent and call on me to help (even if you're not in Columbus and I can't work with you personally). Since I'm in the business, network with other agents, and am a solid agent myself, I know what to look for in others...and will do it because not only do I want you to have a good experience but I'm also compensated for the referral.

No comments:

Post a Comment